This cozy stew is the perfect blend of savoury and warming. It feels like a big hug in a bowl. Serve with whole-grain bread so you can get every last drop…apparently licking your bowl is frowned upon in social settings! One good think about this social distancing phase of life that we find ourselves in is that we probably could get away with licking our bowls clean with very little consequence! When we get back to regular living, it will be your word against your family’s. I say it is worth the risk!
Cozy Chicken Stew
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 medium chicken breast boneless, skinless, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 medium carrots peeled & diced
- 3 stalks celery diced
- 2 medium sweet potatoes peeled & diced
- 1 c chicken broth, low sodium
- 1/2 c white wine or extra broth
- 1/2 c milk or unsweetened rice or oat alternative
- Heat oil in a large pot. I like to use my cast iron Dutch oven. Everything seems to magically taste better when I cook it in cast iron.
- Add chicken and cook for about 3-5 minutes until nicely browned. You may need to do the chicken in 2 batches so that it gets evenly cooked. Remove chicken and keep on a plate.
- Add onion, garlic, carrots, celery & sweet potato. Add salt, pepper & thyme. Cook for about 5 minutes and add chicken back to pot and sprinkle with starch. Now add the white wine, broth & 'milk.' Bring to a boil and add frozen peas. Simmer for about 10-15 minutes to ensure chicken is fully cooked and flavours have had the chance to blend.