One of the biggest struggles I hear from people is knowing what to make for meals. They desperately want to eat more veggies, fruit, lean protein and healthy fats but somewhere between this resolve and meal times, it all goes sideways.
My number one all time top tip is to make yourself a plan for success. In our home, I use a monthly calendar to keep us on track. If you don’t have a calendar handy, there are all kinds of templates available online for free.
If I can get meal times sorted, then everything else seems to fall into place a little easier. I’m not left struggling to figure out what to make on my way home from the office. When I go to the grocery store, my cart is filled with the things that I already have a plan for. This means less food waste and more money kept in my pocket. I only plan for 5 main meals a week. This leaves room for spontaneity and leftover usage.
My wish for you this new year is to be able to help you simplify life while reaching for your goals. Often we are our own biggest distractions from getting to where we want to be. Monthly supper time meal planning will help you get there!
Here is one of my favourite recipes to help you get started.
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 medium bell peppers diced
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup rice uncooked
- 1 cup salsa mild or spicy
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 5 sausages precooked & sliced into coins
- Sauté onions, garlic, pepper and sausage in avocado oil in a large pot or cast iron skillet for 3-5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients & bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until liquid is absorbed. Your cooking time will depend on the type of rice used. If using brown rice, plan on 1 hour & you may need to add an additional cup of broth. If using basmati, dinner will be ready in 30 minutes or less! If using fish or shrimp, estimate for about 3 cups worth of either in place of the sausage. Feeling adventurous? Use both the sausage and shrimp together while trying to aim for about 3 cups of protein combined.