Ah…fall days! I do enjoy the brightly coloured leaves, bright blue skies and crisp morning air! But, I do not like cold damp days that are dreary all day. Looking out my window today, all I see are grey skies, soggy leaves and there is a chill in the air, even with the furnace on. On days like these especially, I am really grateful for warm dishes that are easy and nutritious. It is days like this that my crock pot gets to come out of the cupboard and work its magic! Today I have an easy and quick vegetarian chili to warm you. The beans are a great source of fibre and protein. The tomatoes contain lycopene which has been connected to improved bone health, may lower your chances of stroke and reduce your cancer risk.
Great Vegetarian Chili
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 3 stalks celery diced
- 2 carrots diced
- 1 each red, orange & green pepper diced
- 1 19 oz can navy beans rinsed & drained
- 1 19 oz can black beans rinsed & drained
- 1 19 oz can kidney beans rinsed & drained
- 1 large can crushed or stewed tomatoes with juice
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp real maple syrup
- 1-2 dashes cayenne pepper optional
- Sauté onions in a tablespoon of avocado oil. Combine all ingredients into slow cooker and cook on low all day or high for 4 – 5 hours.