For those of you who know me well, you know I love me some granola! The trouble with making your own granola is that it can take a while in the oven to get it right. My oven granola takes about 40 minutes on low heat and then a little more time just sitting in the warm oven to get the right crunch factor. While it tastes great and totally worth the effort, sometimes I don’t have time to babysit granola. I’ve discovered that making this super quick and easy skillet granola has saved me time in the kitchen and allowed me to have one of my most favourite breakfasts and snacks in a hurry. Give it a try and let me know what you think!
Quick & Easy Skillet Granola
- 2 cups oats old fashioned
- 1/2 cup raw nuts almond, cashew, walnut, pecans or a mixture of these
- 1/4 cup raw seeds pumpkin, sunflower or sesame
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut shredded
- 1/4 cup real maple syrup
- 1 tbsp organic butter or coconut oil
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 dash sea salt
- Pretend you are on a television cooking show and have everything ready to go in small bowls before you begin cooking. The granola toasts quickly and you won't have much time to measure ingredients while you are cooking. (I burnt my first batch.) In a large cast iron skillet, toast the oats, nuts and seeds over medium high heat. Watch closely as you don't want it to burn. This will take about 2-3 minutes and the mixture will start to turn a little golden. Add the maple syrup, coconut oil or butter, cinnamon & salt. Cook this for another 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and leave in pan until granola has cooled and hardened into tasty crunch bits and pieces. Store in mason jars. Enjoy with yogurt or on ice cream.