Slow Cooker Potato Soup
Servings: 8 servings
Cozy comfort food with the help of your trusty slow cooker. Using your slow cooker is almost like having someone else make dinner!Print Recipe
- 1 cups chopped bacon ends fried and drained
- 1 medium onion diced
- 8 large potatoes cubed with skin left on
- 3-4 cups veggie or chicken broth
- 1/3 cup flour gluten free if needed
- 2 cups cow milk or rice milk
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup corn or arrowroot starch
- Precook bacon. Drain and set aside. In a large slow cooker, add onions, potatoes and 1.5 cup cooked bacon ends. Whisk broth, flour, milk and salt together and pour over onions and potatoes. Cook on low for 6-8 hours and high for 3-4 hours. Just before serving, either bring to a boil in your slow cooker or transfer to a pot on the stove and bring to a boil. Thicken soup with a corn or arrowroot starch slurry if you want a thicker soup. (Whisk starch with about 1 cup water.) Add to boiling soup and whisk until soup has thickened. Top soup with leftover bacon, chives and shredded cheese. For a dairy free option, use a cheese substitute such as Daiya shreds. This soup doesn't freeze well, so make sure you eat it all up or find some friends to share it with!
I purchase my chopped bacon ends at my local butcher shop. It makes it so quick and easy to prep real bacon bits.
Calories: 490kcal | Carbohydrates: 78g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 26mg | Sodium: 536mg | Potassium: 1718mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 117IU | Vitamin C: 74mg | Calcium: 118mg | Iron: 3mg