This past weekend rained. I mean, it really rained. By now, we would expect the rain to be beautiful white fluffy flakes that make us feel all festive. The house was damp and our mood needed a little boost. I decided on Saturday that a hearty pot of soup might warm us from the inside out. I planned to make said soup on Sunday. Sunday was the exact opposite of Saturday – it was gloriously sunny and a delight to be outside. We no longer needed a warm bowl of soup, but I was committed! Boy, am I ever glad I stuck to it. This soup as it turned out ended up being more than I expected and is now a part of my soup rotation.
This cauliflower chowder is dairy free and gluten free, but that’s where the free part ends. There is no skimping on flavour or heartiness!
Hearty Cauliflower Chowder
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into bite sized pieces frozen works really well here
- 6 cups organic veggie or chicken broth
- 4 carrot cut into coins
- 2 ribs celery sliced
- 2 cups corn frozen
- 1/4 cup bacon bits
- 1/2 cup cheese, shredded use Daiya shreds for dairy free option
- 1/2 cup green onions
- Melt butter in large soup pot. Saute diced onion until translucent and almost caramelizing. Add 2 cloves garlic. Saute for another minute.
- Add cauliflower and broth to the pot. Bring to a boil and simmer until cauliflower is soft. Using an immersion blender, puree the cauliflower & onions with the broth.
- Add carrots, celery & corn. Simmer for another 20 minutes or until veggies are softened.
- Serve with real bacon bits, shredded cheese & green onions.