Hormonal Super Stars – What are they & how can they help your hormones? Read on my friend!
Healthy fats are important for supporting hormone function, memory recall, helping us feel full and regulating blood sugar levels.
- Raw nuts & seeds
- Flax & chia seeds
- Unsalted olives & olive oil
Fibre helps keep us regular which not only puts a little pep in our step, it helps us transport out excess hormones. Fibre also helps us feel full and balance blood sugar levels.
- Raw nuts & seeds
- Wide variety of vegetables & fruit
- Stewed prunes
Protein helps build and repair tissue and is important for growth, hormone and enzyme activity.
- Helps you feel full
- Supports blood sugar regulation; reduces cravings
- Hair and nails are made up mostly of protein
- Real food sources are ideal such as meat, cheese, eggs, milk, lentils, beans, chia seeds, quinoa, hemp
- Protein powder considerations
Carbohydrates provide energy as well as vitamins & minerals
- Remember that not all carbs are created equal. Some elevate your blood glucose (sugar) levels much faster and higher than others
- Limit simple carbs and focus on complex carbs found in vegetables, fruits, legumes & whole grains
Keto – can be very helpful; consider long term sustainability; not recommended for in certain situations
- Eat regularly
- Balanced meals & snacks – include healthy fat, protein and healthy complex carbohydrate
- Examples include: veggies & hummus, banana and raw nuts, nut butter on apple slices, quinoa salad, hardboiled egg with avocado and tomato slices
What’s the Deal with Chocolate?
- Chocolate contains phytoestrogens which may be part of the reason we crave it right before our period. Our estrogen levels drop right before we begin menstruating.
- Cacao flavonoids may encourage neuron and blood vessel growth in parts of the brain involved in memory and learning
- Phenylethylalanine – associated with the feeling of falling in love
- Tryptophan – brain uses this amino acid to make serotonin, a neurotransmitter that can lead to happiness
- Dark chocolate is the better option – look for 70% or greater and an ingredient list you understand
Here is the scoop. You are a hormonal being and that really is awesome, even if some days it doesn’t feel like it. Knowing how to help support your hormones with food is a big step in the right direction. Next time, we will talk about some other important factors in your hormonal health.