Summer is here and with it comes a sense of freedom from the regular old schedule. Lazy summer days, trips to the beach and late night chats on the deck become part of our new normal. Sometimes we get caught up in holiday mode and forget to keep healthy eating a priority. Visits to the ice cream shop, family reunions, church picnics and late night campfires with more snacks seem to be around every corner. I beg you, don’t take a vacation from healthy eating!

Today, I thought I would share some helpful tips to keep you on the right track this Summer. Your body will thank you for it!

  • Employ the 80/20 method. 80% of the time, eat the foods you know you such as veggies and fruit, whole grains, lean protein and healthy fats. The other 20% of the time, allow yourself to enjoy the foods that simply tickle your taste buds. You know that they might not be healthy for you, but since your focus is on eating healthy foods 80% of the time, you’ve got some wiggle room for ‘sometimes’ foods such as ice cream, s’mores, fried foods or whatever it is that you choose.


  • Stay hydrated. It is important to stay hydrated all year long, but even more so when the temperatures can soar and we perspire more frequently. Aim to drink between 8-10 cups of water daily. For every caffeinated or alcohol containing beverage, drink 2 cups of water. Both caffeine and alcohol are diuretics which mean they cause us to excrete extra fluid.


  • Be the one who brings the salad, veggie platter or fruit tray to the party. I promise, your friends will appreciate it and thank you for your healthy contribution. This way, you will know that there will always be something healthy you can enjoy at every gathering you are invited to.


  • Visit your local market. There is nothing like being outside and purchasing fresh produce from the people who grew it. You will be inspired to eat healthier just by doing this one thing alone.

To encourage you to take a salad to your next function, I’m sharing with you my recipe for a delicious and fresh summery dish. Enjoy!


Taste of Summer Salad

Course: Appetizer, Main Dish, Salad
Cuisine: Dairy Free
Keyword: Healthy
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 4 minutes
Total Time: 24 minutes
Servings: 8 people
Calories: 239kcal
This salad has just the right mix of juicy and crunchy bits to keep your taste buds happy! Add in the little sweet of Elmira's own maple syrup and zip of curry and you've got something to wow a crowd!
Print Recipe


  • 1 head romaine lettuce
  • 2 cups spinach
  • 1 chopped apple with skins left on
  • 1 cup blueberries
  • 1/2 cup almonds raw, sliced & toasted
  • 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds raw


  • 1/2 cup olive oil cold pressed
  • 1/3 cup white wine vinegar
  • 1 clove garlic minced
  • 2 tbsp Elmira Maple Syrup
  • 2 tbsp fresh chives chopped
  • 1 tbsp curry powder
  • 1 tsp soya sauce or gluten free tamari


  • Toss almonds & seeds in a little coconut oil and sea salt. Toast in oven for a few minutes at 250°F, being careful to stir frequently and not burn. This should only take a few minutes. Allow mixture to cool.


To make this salad a complete meal, consider adding grilled chicken breast, chickpeas or a hard boiled egg.


Calories: 239kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 57mg | Potassium: 376mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 7582IU | Vitamin C: 9mg | Calcium: 67mg | Iron: 2mg