You know when you stumble across a dish that surprises you with how well it turned out? Crazy coconut curry is definitely one of those! I had a skeleton of a recipe and a few ingredients in the fridge that needed to be used up. What came out of the skillet was sheer deliciousness. Now, don’t get me wrong – feel free to ask my family and I am sure they will have a list of less than amazing culinary experiments to share with you. There have been plenty of meals that lack pizzazz and end up being a little bit more on the, ‘meh,’ side of things. Since this one turned out so well, I wanted to share with you!
Crazy Good Coconut Curry!
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 onion diced
- 1 tomato diced
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 carrots sliced into coins
- 2 medium potatoes diced
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 1 large can stewed tomatoes
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 cup chicken or veggie broth
- 3 handfuls of baby spinach
- Sauté diced onion and tomato with coconut oil in a large skillet or frying pan until soft and onion is nearly translucent. Add minced garlic, chicken and 1 teaspoon of sea salt. (You can easily swap out the chicken for chickpeas and make a hearty vegan meal.)
- Once chicken is cooked on the outside, add carrots, potatoes, remaining teaspoon of sea salt and curry powder.
- Give it a stir and add the stewed tomatoes, coconut milk and broth. Simmer until carrots are soft.
- Just before serving, add baby spinach and continue to simmer for one more minute.
- Serve with basmati, brown or sticky rice and a side salad. Need a little heat? Add a few dashes of cayenne pepper.