I do believe that carrot cake may be one of my all time favourites. I know, a bold statement for sure, but honestly there is nothing better than a moist carrot cake with a hint of spice.
We were asked to bring dessert to a party this past weekend and I happened to be craving carrot cake. People usually ask me to bring salad…go figure! I decided to take my carrot cake muffin recipe, add a little icing and turn them into cupcakes. Don’t tell anyone, but they were all eating something kind of healthy…well, except for the icing, but I tried to make that a little healthier too!
Carrot Cake & Flax Seed Muffins
- 1 1/2 cup light spelt or gluten free flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 1 cup carrot, shredded
- 1/4 cup flax seeds, ground
- 1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 package regular cream cheese
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350F. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, ground flax seed and pumpkin seeds in a large bowl. In a small bowl, combine eggs, apple sauce & vanilla. Grate carrots and add to flour mixture, making sure to evenly distribute. Add small liquid bowl to large bowl and begin mixing. Add in melted coconut oil now. (If you add it any earlier, it will likely solidify in your batter.) Stir well being careful not to over mix. Scoop into muffin tin. I like to use an ice cream scoop to keep my muffins all the same size. Bake for 20 minutes. If you are adding the icing, whip the cream cheese, whipping cream and maple syrup until it becomes thick. Store in fridge and ice muffin/cupcakes once cool. Enjoy!