We could all use a little help from time to time boosting our immune system function. There are circumstances when our bodies need a little extra support such as during November to January which is peak flu season, stressful situations, preparing for surgery or travel. Below are some of my favourite ways to boost my immune system, and check out this video for even more information!
- Reduce your daily sugar intake. The average North American consumes 26 tsp. of sugar daily. The RDA is only 6 to 9 tsp. Sugar inhibits the function of our immune system for up to several hours after we have eaten it.
- Deal with stress in a positive way. Unfortunately we spend much of our time running from this place to the next, piling waaaay more on our to do lists that we could possibly hope to accomplish in a single day. Your body was not meant to live this way. Make time for regular exercise and relaxation. Take a run and then soak in the tub with a good book!
- It seems basic but is definitely worth mentioning. Wash your hands & wash them well! Avoid the use of antibacterial soaps as we are finding that they can do more harm than good. They are made with harmful chemicals and are also encouraging germs to become better at surviving our attempts at ridding our environment of them. A really good handwashing with regular soap and a little light scrubbing in between the fingers goes a long way. Also, remembering to cover those coughs and sneezes with the inside of your elbow helps contain those germs. Sneezing into your hand and then grabbing a door handle…well ewww!
- Eat a diet rich in vitamins and minerals – pile up those plates with all sorts of veggies and fruits! If I do start to feel a little under the weather, I like to sip ginger & honey tea or take a little bit of oregano oil. Cooking with garlic is also a terrific idea as it not only tastes great, it boosts our immune function as well. There are also some great natural supplements that help boost your immunity. Some of my favourites include regularly using Vitamin D, Probiotics and an Essential Fatty Acid supplement.
- Last and certainly not least is sleep! Sleep is really quite under rated and many of us are just squeaking by on the bare minimum. Sleep is essential to our well being. We are all different and require varying amounts to feel our very best. If you feel like you are coming down with something, go to bed early. The world will not fall apart if you go to bed at 7! Your family will be glad that you are taking care of yourself and you can watch that show later on line! If you are sick, stay home! You will get better faster and won’t share your germs with the rest of us.