Black beans just don’t get the recognition that they deserve! I mean sure, they get made fun of for the bodily functions that they seem to inspire. I even have a little childhood poem going through my head as I write this. What can I say? I live in a house of boys!
Black beans are little powerhouses of fibre, folate and protein. They are actually a complete protein when paired with rice. This is good to know if you are a vegetarian! They are inexpensive and they fill you up! This is also good to know if you are a new College or University student on a budget!
Today I want to share with you a recipe for super yummy black bean burgers. They are easy to throw together and taste so good!
Black Beans Burgers
- 1 can black beans rinsed & drained
- 1/2 medium cooking onion finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 lime freshly squeezed
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs whole grain
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped, optional
- Mash the black beans in a large bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Form into 4-6 patties. Fry on the stove in a little coconut oil or grill on the BBQ on medium heat. They don't take long to cook - a few minutes each side. Serve with sliced tomato, cucumber cubes, fresh sprouts & guacamole.