Here is my recipe for a super tasty and much healthier version of granola than you would typically find in a grocery store. Many store bought varieties are quite high in many different kinds of sugar and lack the nutritional status that granola was meant to offer. My granola tastes great as a breakfast cereal on its own, a topping for yogurt, a mid-afternoon snack or even as a little extra something special on vanilla ice cream!
Now for a little info on some of the benefits of the ingredients in this recipe. Coconut oil can help with blood sugar control and help build our immunity. Oats help lower bad cholesterol and are a great source of fibre. Nuts and seeds are great sources of essential fatty acids. EFA’s support brain function and keep our skin looking fabulous! Cinnamon also can help with regulating blood sugar levels. Maple syrup is a naturally occurring sugar which contains many antioxidants that can contribute to our health – oh and it tastes GREAT too!
Amy’s Best Granola Ever!
- 3 cup rolled oats not instant or quick
- 1 cup raw almonds coarsely chopped
- 6 tbsp sesame seeds raw
- 1/2 cup coconut unsweetened
- 3 tbsp coconut oil melted
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds raw
- 6 tbsp sunflower seeds raw
- 3 tbsp flax seeds
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 6 tbsp maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 225 F.
- Mix ingredients and spread out on a cookie sheet.
- Bake for about 40 minutes, stirring 4 times.
- Turn off oven and leave the granola in the oven for another hour.
- Once the granola has completely cooled, you can add 1/2 c. dried fruit such as apricots, cranberries, raisins or candied ginger.
- Store in glass jars.