Ah! Summer days are upon us! Trips to the cottage, camping excursions and backyard barbecues are just around the corner. Holidays are meant to restore us and give us rest from our everyday routine. It makes sense to take good care of yourself over the holidays – emotionally, physically and nutritionally.
I have a simple request for you this Summer – please don’t take a holiday from healthy eating! While in vacation mode, there can be a tendency to throw caution to the wind and eat less sensibly than usual. Now, don’t get me wrong, I am all in for beach fries and a few trips to the ice cream shop, but it needs to be kept in balance my friend! We live in a truly abundant geographical location where the choices of fresh veggies and fruit are too many to count. We would be wise to eat well, especially when it is so easy and less expensive to do so. I urge you, love your local farmer and purchase their produce – right at their lane ways or at the market.
As a special gift from me to you, I am giving you a copy of, ‘Chillin’ & Grillin’.’ I worked on this project with a couple of nutritionist friends who are equally as passionate about your health. The e-book is filled with tips and tricks to keep you on track all Summer long!
Here is a little sneak peek:
Did you know that charring your meat creates carcinogens that could cause cancer?
Reduce your risk by:
- Be sure to watch the heat and flames so it doesn’t get away on you.
- Keep a water bottle sprayer handy so you can douse the flames.
- Cut excess fat from the meat, as it will burn easier.
- Avoid store bought marinades or pre-packaged meats with marinades. They can be loaded with sugar and trans fats and can be highly flammable
- Cast iron works really well on the barbecue. Don’t skimp on your cast iron and buy good quality pieces that will last for generations. Season it with coconut oil and remember, coconut oil has a high flash point and heat threshold, as does butter or grape seed oil. If you are going to be cooking at a high temperature these are the preferred oils. Once oils hits their flash point they start to break down and create free radicals. Free radicals can cause cancer.
That’s it for now! Until next time my friends, eat well & have fun! I’m headed to the beach for a little R&R – and yes, that will include a trip to the fry shack and to the ice cream shop!